Romesco sauce is one of my favorite sauces made with roasted red peppers and almonds. It is originated from Catalonia, Spain and is a base for many dishes. Roasted chicken in romesco sauce is an amazing one-pot dish, full of Spanish flavors.
- One chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 medium-size ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 roasted red peppers (jarred)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups almonds (I used sliced, but you can use whole, it gets chopped in a food processor anyway)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Few sprigs lemon thyme
- Pinch of saffron
- Salt, pepper
- Heat the skillet over medium-high heat, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and fry well from both sides (takes about 7-10 min on medium-high heat).
- Meanwhile, puree garlic and almonds in a food processor, add tomatoes and roasted red peppers and puree well.
- Move fried chicken pieces to the plate or bowl, pour the sauce into the skillet and cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, season with salt, add saffron.
- Add chicken pieces to the sauce and cook for another 20 minutes on low heat until the meat is cooked through.
- Season with lemon thyme.