Tarragon is a spring herb in Georgia. We use it a lot in stews, soups, salads or eat fresh as an herb. One of my favorite dishes is mushrooms with tarragon, kind of like mushroom stew with scallions and tarragon. It’s very flavorful and meaty.
- 3 large Portobello mushrooms (you can use small as well), cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3-4 sprig scallions, chopped
- 1 cup tarragon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sauté onions in a skillet with olive oil on a medium low heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and stir, cover the skillet and let it cook for 5 minutes, stir if needed.
- Add white wine, scallions, tarragon and garlic and cook 5 more minutes covered (leave 1 tbsp. tarragon for garnish).
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, add red pepper flakes and saved tarragon for garnish.