Paleo chili is perfect fall one pot meal, very hearty and flavorful. Sometimes I use sweet potatoes and zucchini to add vegetables in this meat based stew. This time I added red bell pepper and mushrooms. Bacon gives nice smoky flavor to this dish.
- 1 pound ground turkey (I like to use mix of dark and white meat)
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ pound mushrooms (cremini, shiitaki)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (fresh tomatoes give fresh and bright taste), roughly chopped or pureed
- 3-4 strips bacon, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- Salt, black pepper
- In a wide pot cook onions and bacon on medium heat, stirring. Let the onions sweat and bacon crisp. It takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and red pepper and cook for another 5 minutes, let the vegetables crisp and caramelize.
- Add ground meat, break with the wooden spoon, cook for 5 minutes, add tomatoes, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro, cover and let it cook for 15 minutes or so.
- Garnish with more cilantro.