I had chickpea curry at the party of friends where one Indian guy brought this dish and even though I don’t like cooked onions, I loved this dish, it was creamy and amazingly flavorful. So, I asked him for a recipe and made it at home few times. It’s not as good as his, but worth to try.
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. freshly ground ginger
- 2 large tomatoes, grated or pureed
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 3-4 cardamom and cloves
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a pot, add onions, cumin seeds, cardamom and cloves and sauté on medium heat until fragrant, add garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, cook for 3-4 minutes, pour tomato puree, let it boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat.
- Add chickpeas, coconut milk and cook everything for 30 min on a low heat until it thickens.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.